Thursday, July 8, 2010

Montreal Part 1

I've always enjoyed off-season travel. Because I live in New York, the thought of going on a crowded vacation gives me flashbacks to all the times I've foolishly ventured into Trader Joe's on a Sunday morning. (Literally lines out the door.) Vic and I decided to visit Montreal in May figuring the weather would be nice and the crowds would be smaller.

When I landed in Montreal (only a 1.5 hour flight from NYC!), my first thought was, "Where the heck is everyone?" Never have I seen such a clean, empty airport. With an hour to kill before Vic's flight came in, I roamed around and captured the unprecedented  stillness.

My second thought was, "Wow, it's really French here." For some reason I was under the impression that half of the population spoke mostly English but when we arrived, almost all conversations were carried in French.  I read somewhere that 85% of Montrealers speak French at home, yet almost everyone we met spoke English fluently as well. I was blown away by the flawless bilingualism so now I must learn French. Willing to barter design services for French lessons. Email me :)









Montreal's Metro makes me feel like I'm in a 60's time warp. It's not because the subway stations are old, but because they're still in the same condition as they were 50 years ago. Their oldest stations look better than our newest ones. NY needs to get it together and make it illegal to litter and chew gum. 



Weather.com lies. According to the forecast, it was supposed to be lows in the 50s. It was definitely colder than that for the first few days and we were not prepared. Every morning, we layered on every article of clothing we owned. We went in the middle of May and it snowed!












I have no idea what Cobra Cock is, but this tag was EVERYWHERE.

















Stay tuned for Quebec City and Montreal Part 2!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! Wonderful photos. It's been a while since I've been to Montreal and it made we want to go back. Also... I am bilingual French/English.. so I would love to make a deal!! --Elise

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful pics as always!

    ReplyDelete